Re[2]: White City

>One of the contributing factors in Pete "bailing" from The Who and this
>style of writing was Dave Marsh and "writers" like him. See, Dave  thinks it
>was some kinda crime for Pete to start writing "personally", beginning with
>"Who By Numbers". I believe this heavy criticism drove Pete crazy (a bit of
>"revenge" in "Psychoderelict" aimed at the music press). As a result, Pete's
>been trying to focus on a "theme" rather than write songs about himself or
>whatever struck him .

Dontcha think it's a teensy bit possible that Pete is gearing up toward
another "big story" that he wants to put on stage or film a la TOMMY and
QUADROPHENIA?  Pete wants to be Andrew Lloyd Weber! Just wait, we will see
QUAD on the stage.  Pete never leaves an idea behind--he's obsessed with
correcting his (self-perceived) mistakes, like QUAD.  He wants to make it
better.  Even though we all love it anyway!

Both vehicles have merit, but no need to go overboard... This "paranoia" over
music press criticism also has fueled Pete's "writers block" and partly
explains his low writing output... A real shame...

          Yeah, I've always thought that Pete was too bothered by the
          press because it's a permanent reminder of something he did
          or said that he regrets (the Greil Marcus ROLLING STONE
          interview he did in 1980 comes to mind, and it was not one
          of Pete's better moments--if you don't have that article,
          check out your local college library as many of 'em have the
          STONE)

--Jim