Re: Other Drummers?

At 20:28 03/12/95 -0500, Gary Sumpter wrote:

>   I suspect the reason The 'Oo didn't pick a drummer that played like Moony
>because they couldn't FIND one.  And if they did, I suspect we'd all be
>sitting here saying: "that guy was horrible because he kept trying to BE
>Keith Moon".  It's a Catch-22.  I wouldn't have wanted any other drummer
>than KJ - but if you insist, how about Dennis Thompson of the MC5 (anyone
>else think the opening few bars of "Come Together" from the live Kick Out
>The Jams album sounds TOO much like "I Can See For Miles"?) or maybe Guy
>Evans (of Van Der Graaf Generator)?  But these guys had no "Who history" -
>KJ was involved in the Tommy soundtrack, he came from the same "scene", he'd
>hung around with Moon - in short, he had the same sensibilities.  He was 1/4
>of the post-Moon Who, which STILL makes him the drummer for the world's
>greatest rock 'n roll band.

The most Keith-influenced drummer I can think of is Clem Burke of Blondie -
he even copied his hairstyle! I remember hearing a story that Blondie were
gigging the night that Keith died, and a highly emotional CB (to the
surprise of the rest of the group) played a stormer and then trashed his
kit, with the announcement "That was for Keith Moon, the greatest
rock'n'roll drummer in history".

English Mike