Other Drummers?

   I suspect the reason The 'Oo didn't pick a drummer that played like Moony
because they couldn't FIND one.  And if they did, I suspect we'd all be
sitting here saying: "that guy was horrible because he kept trying to BE
Keith Moon".  It's a Catch-22.  I wouldn't have wanted any other drummer
than KJ - but if you insist, how about Dennis Thompson of the MC5 (anyone
else think the opening few bars of "Come Together" from the live Kick Out
The Jams album sounds TOO much like "I Can See For Miles"?) or maybe Guy
Evans (of Van Der Graaf Generator)?  But these guys had no "Who history" -
KJ was involved in the Tommy soundtrack, he came from the same "scene", he'd
hung around with Moon - in short, he had the same sensibilities.  He was 1/4
of the post-Moon Who, which STILL makes him the drummer for the world's
greatest rock 'n roll band.

   Personally I credit Jones with allowing all those Who fans (including
myself) that came aboard AFTER 1978 with being able to see the band live.
Imagine what might have happened had Moon not died in 1978 - they probably
would never have toured or recorded again.  Listening to the recorded stuff
- Face Dances and It's Hard - I think the only thing that suffers is the
material.  Had Pete's committment to the band remained strong after Empty
Glass, I'm sure nobody would be talking "cabaret act".

   Speaking of which, did you all attend the same concerts in '89 as I did?
Purists - those for whom The 'Oo is nothing but a lean, mean four-piece -
obviously wouldn't approve, but they're a lost cause after 1978 anyway.  The
selection of material on that tour was outstanding - lots of big hits, more
obscure stuff, and interesting covers.  I saw them on two evenings
back-to-back in Toronto, and the set list varied considerably.

Cheers,

Gary