Re: New (used) Jetta, and some repair questions

>2 - ventilation fan control (aka heater fan, a/c fan).  The #1 setting on
>the fan doesn't work.  What is the most likely part that failed, where is
>it located, and how to I get to it?

rec.autos was the answer to the A3 fan (blower) control problem.  it turned
out to be a 10 minute fix (I was careful, it could be done faster). Here's
what I did:

First: Turn the car OFF, so that the circuit is deactivated.  Get the tools
you need (a pair of needlenose pliars and a precision flathead screwdriver)

1 - removed the fan control knob by pulling straight out on it while rocking
it back an forth.  It popped out without too much trouble.

2 - removed the plastic face plate for the controls by prying gently around
the edges until it came loose.  This didn't require any forcing, it is held
in rather loosely.

3 - The fan switch works by completing the circuit between a common outer
brushing (clearly visible once the face plate is removed, it is copper and
on the left side of the switch) and the lower bushing specific to the
selected speed.  The brushing that makes the connection is located on the
fan control switch itself, and is the silver / copper colored metal piece in
the center of the switch.

4 - the outer conducter is the one that is probably dirty / corroded (at
least on mine), use a precision screwdriver (or instrument of your choice)
to clean it by scraping along the path of the switch brushing.

5 - I removed the brushing on the dial by pulling it straight out of its
holder with needlenose pliars (it is held in by friction), and gently
twisting the brushing to ensure a strong contact.  I then pushed it back in
place.

6 - finally I replaced the faceplate, and then the dial. Replacing the dial
requires aligning the lighted plastic piece in the center with the hole on
the switch, then simply pressing it in place.

This is pretty exhaustive, but should be detailed enough to allow anyone to
fix this problem themselves.

Jacob