Re: New jetta opinion poll... GLX or Wolfsburg?

>Go ahead ... rip into me.  But before you do, go test drive a new 5
>or 7 series with a sport package (I'd say try the 3 series, but that
>would be overkill, they're so fantastic it's practically sinful) ...
>absolutely unreal cars.

Why would I? (rip into you that is)...

You didn't really say anything I disagree with, and I don't think you
really said anything that invalidates what I said either. You pointed
out a few exceptions to the rule, which I acknowledge, but our focus
was not in the BMW spotlight, but in the VW (and potentially Audi)
arena. And absolutely, the smaller the car in the VW/Audi arena, I
think the better they handle-- especially stock.

And when you narrow the range down to cars costing less than $30,000
(which eliminates most Audis) that principle is even more true-- the
smaller, the lighter, the better handling... which brings me back to
my point, which is to say that driving a compact (Jetta) a midsize
(Audi S6), and a sub compact (Golf), I tend to like the smaller cars
better, and when it comes to engines, I prefer mine turbocharged, and
finally, the efficiency of the 1.8T can't be beat (and other than the
2.7T which is out of the price range in the discussion at hand) is
the only real turbocharged choice from the factory. The ideal car in
the scenario we're talking about for a daily driver, then, IMO, is a
Golf 1.8T, or a Jetta 1.8T, if you must have a sedan.

Look, don't get me wrong. I loved my GLX, but other than having the
satisfaction of having a 2.8L V6 (not to diminish that point-- I
loved my VR6), if they had offered the Jetta GLX 1.8T in 1997, that's
what I most probably would have bought.

>Granted, the Boxster should handle great for the extra money it
>costs, but considering you can have a brand new 325 for 5 thousand
>more than similarly equipped Jetta ... why get a Jetta?

First, I'll admit I haven't actually driven a 325, so feel free to
tell me I'm wrong, but I'm betting the cost of the paper this is
printed on, that your 325 isn't all that dramatically different from
a Jetta/Golf 1.8T with a sport suspension... which can cost $7K less
(I'm presuming you compared the 325 to the GLX VR6). I'm not saying
there's NO REASON why anyone would buy a 325, as they are surely fine
cars-- it's just that in the realm of the discussion we were having,
the $7K apparently makes enough of a difference to consider a less
expensive car.
--

Khan Klatt                                         khan@mediaaccess.com

Media Access Internet Solutions, Inc.		      888.750.0777 tel
http://www.mediaaccess.com			      425.519.3741 fax