Re: Hardware bugs (was : coil/distributor replacement)

At 3:56 PM -0500 2/28/2000, JoseGomez wrote:
>Believe me, I'd like to buy a 24 valve 4 motion Jetta as my next car if they
>ever make one but I would think twice about it b/c of the reliability
>issues.

Jose-

I hear you-- if I was in your position, I'd probably feel the same
way, but luckily I'm on the other side of the fence, with essentially
zero problems on my car.

Of course, there are the standard Jetta (III) annoyances--

such as

*the la cucaracha sound
(I fixed that with a piece of tape on the speaker for the relay)

* no locking gas cap
(Scavenged one off of a wrecked earlier model)

* difficulties shifting
(just the standard pain when trying to go into reverse or into first
from second)

* stock brake pads, tires, & suspension

* the odd noise here and there that are "fun" to find and squash (if you can)

* cupholders

* tiny glove box

Of these, the flaws in the car are the cupholders and the tiny glove
box. These are a direct result of a german-engineered car. They
didn't make our Jettas with cupholders, they were an afterthought.
They also had to wedge in the airbag, hence the glovebox problem. You
might also say that the transmission could have been better, but I
know very little about those things. This is the kind of thing that
is inherited from a European design brought to Mexico for
manufacturing.

The rest are bad choices by marketing/engineering (removing locking
gas cap because of a few clueless individuals out there, as well as
picking the dusty brake pads). These are things that they could have
kept or improved on from the factory.

Most of the remainder are simply personal preference (suspension,
tires, cucaracha sound, tires, and suspension). These are things I
wish VWAG would have done differently, but couldn't have expected
them to do because it probably only bugs few people like me.

Which leads to my primary complaint about the Jetta III is how noisy
it can be. Either things rattling, or rubbing or jostling, or just
plain road or engine noise. And this kind of thing you can expect for
what we paid for our cars.

-Khan

Khan Klatt                                         khan@mediaaccess.com

Media Access Internet Solutions, Inc.		      888.750.0777 tel
http://www.mediaaccess.com			      425.519.3741 fax