Re: Hardware bugs (was : coil/distributor replacement)

>Also, Jose, wasn't it you that posted a while back mentioning you got
>this car from an auction and you had to fix it up to get it running?
>Maybe it was a lemon you ended up with. If I'm confusing you with
>someone else, perhaps you can explain what the history on your car
>is-- i.e. how much did you pay, where did you get it, and how much
>work did you have to do to get it running?

Khan you're confusing me with someone else, I got my car new in Oct 95. To
be honest though, despite all the annoyances and  the subpar service
somedealers where I have serviced my car,I still am glad I got a Jetta GLX.
But the annoyances and service experiences have made my ownership experience
less enjoyable because of the hassles and time involved with getting those
things fixed,especially when you are a bit anal about your car like I am :).
I guess in my case the issue is also exacerbated because in the first year
my car spent about 20 days at the dealer for warranty repairs and more
recently I have had to wait almost a month to get new e-brake cables  and 2
weeks to get a new window regulator. Both items were on national backorder
(I rather assume that VW logistics are not up to the task than think that
these parts fail so often that the demand outweighs the supply)

Although it might sound like it, I'm not trying to knock our cars.They're a
great value for the money imho.But the frequency of some of the hardware
problems and reliability issues mentioned in this list and the gti list is
definitely an issue VW should consider, if only for the sake of their long
term reputation now that they have made a strong comeback. If I
got a JD Power survey I would have to rate the car's hardware as poor and
many ratings like that will affect VW's rating in the long term. The coil
pack has always been an issue of discussion on the gti list.  Also a number
of other members have had problems with the ebrake cable because of their
propensity to take a crap in winter time conditions due to the crappy boot
design/manufacture.

Believe me, I'd like to buy a 24 valve 4 motion Jetta as my next car if they
ever make one but I would think twice about it b/c of the reliability
issues.

my further .02

Jose