RE: Hardware bugs (was : coil/distributor replacement)

-----Original Message-----
From: JoseGomez [mailto:kwerky@email.msn.com]

*But the annoyances and service experiences have made my ownership
experience
*less enjoyable because of the hassles and time involved with getting those
*things fixed,especially when you are a bit anal about your car like I am
:).

That is the annoying thing.  No matter how well you take care of the car,
sub-par parts will fail/malfunction due to poor design and/or manufacturing.
I realize this is a "poor-mans BMW" and all but not that poor!  MANY k's
more than a Honda.  E-brakes should last 100,000+ (my Saab had 243,000 miles
with original ebrakes), molding should NOT fall off after 2 years (my
Pathfinder has 125,000 miles on construction sites, skiing, etc without
parts falling off) and coil packs should not crack after 30,000 miles!

*They're a
*great value for the money imho.But the frequency of some of the hardware
*problems and reliability issues mentioned in this list and the gti list is
*definitely an issue VW should consider, if only for the sake of their long
*term reputation now that they have made a strong comeback. If I
*got a JD Power survey I would have to rate the car's hardware as poor and
*many ratings like that will affect VW's rating in the long term.

I agree.  I do get Consumers Reports car surveys and will rate the
performance and handling as excellent and the hardware as below average.  I
will soon (within a few minutes) know what I will put down for customer
support.  So far the dealer has been less that willing to talk about a deal
on the coil-pack.  Have to see what VWOA says.

Marc
97' Jetta GLX - Red/Black "Things breaking daily edition"