Re: Hardware bugs (was : coil/distributor replacement)

At 9:43 AM -0500 2/28/2000, JoseGomez wrote:
> [...]

My vote would be on the lemon side of things. Certainly there are
weaknesses of this car, as there are on any platform, but maybe it
was a down day in Puebla MX when your car was made.

>A german friend of mine is actually incredulous of all these things going
>wrong on a german car and is surprised when I tell her that that is par for
>the course on our cars.

I have a 97 and I've kept it in good condition. The only thing that I
did after buying the car was to replace the brakes and shocks and
springs. Oh, and some electrical component (like a fuel regulator or
something) failed and was replaced under warranty at about 7000
miles. That's all that has ever gone wrong on my car.

>Believe me, they are going to have a time
>selling that to anyone if they haven't  improved the design, reliability,and
>manufacture of their oem parts on the MK IV's!

For people like me who have had the opposite experience you have had,
this clearly isn't an issue.

>Also lately my windshield wipers will go crazy and start wiping at the
>sslower regular interval even though I  have them in the programmable mode
>Worst part of it is that I then can't turn them off. I try to move the stalk
>back and forth to see if it might be a loose contact but to no avail they'll
>keep wiping  but eventually stop on their own. Anyone ever has this happen
>to them?Would it be stalk related or would the relay having a short in it
>cause this problem?

Also, Jose, wasn't it you that posted a while back mentioning you got
this car from an auction and you had to fix it up to get it running?
Maybe it was a lemon you ended up with. If I'm confusing you with
someone else, perhaps you can explain what the history on your car
is-- i.e. how much did you pay, where did you get it, and how much
work did you have to do to get it running?

-Khan

Khan Klatt                                         khan@mediaaccess.com

Media Access Internet Solutions, Inc.		      888.750.0777 tel
http://www.mediaaccess.com			      425.519.3741 fax