Re: Thought I'd seen it all...

Khan Klatt wrote:

> You make some good points about the VR6 and its competition, but I'm
> simply addressing your point:
>
> VR6 is so great because:
>
> a) It is the best 6 cylinder engine in A3 Golf and A3 Jettas (as well
> as A4's but the VR6 really came into its age during the A3 years)

It's also the ONLY 6 cylinder to come into these cars.

> b) It is the only V6 from VWAG that can fit-- in other words, what
> makes it awesome is the "narrow angle" V (which is what the VR stands
> for in German).

Ok .. having a 6 over a 4 is always welcome, I understand.

> c)  Come on, 172 horses in six cylinders in our cars is exhilirating,
> for a low end budget sports sedan. We have VW's for gods sake, not
> BMW's, and the performance for a VW is awesome!

172 horses out a 2.8L six cylinder is pretty pathetic, especially in a 3000lb
car.  Civic Si's have a better power/weight ratio, cost less, and get better gas
mileage (much).  There's no arguing that have the mid-range of the VR6 is great
... but I keep wondering just how great it is everytime I'm at the pump.

> d) German engineering. Sure you can get similar powerplans out of
> other german cars, but it's a great overall package.

That's why I wanted a VW, but I must say, I'm rather disappointed with my
German-Engineered car.  So far I've had multiple rattles show up in the rear of
the car, including one very annoying something-or-other that is still moving
around inside my trunk lid.  My right front sway bar came loose and made a
horrible sound if I hit a hard bump.  My power windows seem to have a mind of
their own which they lose as soon as I bring it back to the dealer ... he can
never seem to duplicate the problem, nor can I when he's in the car --- that shit
frustrates the hell outa me.  It's so loud in the cabin at 80 mph that holding a
conversation with someone is not what I would consider easy.  And most recently,
a muffler mount broke which causes part of either the plumbing or the can to hit
the under-side of the car on almost every bump.  I expected more from VW.  To
their defense though, I understand they've fixed some of these problems with the
A4

Bill
'98 GLX