Re: Thought I'd seen it all...

"T. Lowe" wrote:

> Man.  Talk about a breakdown.  That is/was quite interesting though.  I was
> sitting here in class, checking my email, and I took some time out of the
> boring ass lecture to read this mail.  I didn't want it to end.  It was
> giving me something to do, and keeping me awake.  I never really sat back
> and realized how many different engines VWAG offers.  But now that I do in
> fact think about it, their designers/engineers must be busting ass over
> there coming up with new designs to better the VR6.  Man... think about
> it... something BETTER than the VR6.  I can't wait.

    First, many many other car manufacturers offer a lot more engines than you are
aware of.  Just as a quick example, BMW still produces and has in their line of cars:

1.6L 4
1.8L 4
2.0L 6
2.5L 6
3.0L 6
3.2L 6
3.5L 6
4.4L 8
4.9L 8
5.4L 12
And an entire range of 4cylinder, 6cylinder, and 8cylinder turbo diesels.

    And second, why are we areguing about why some kid has the right to put a VR4
sticker on his windshield, when the fact remains, and has been stated, that he drives
an inline-4 ... which should theoretically eliminate the "V" in VR4/6/whatever.  If he
had a "IR4" or "IL4" sticker on his car, that would be different.

    Third, as to Khan's original post:  BMW uses a 12 cylinder, Mercedes-Benz uses a
12 cylinder, Ferrari uses a 12 cylinder, Lamborghini only has a 12 cylinder, Jaguar
uses a 12 cylinder, and I'm sure I'm missing one or two.

    Fourth:  I find the line "Man... think about it... something BETTER than the VR6."
very interesting.  We have one of the least powerful V6's on the market.  It's got
decent midrange, but not much on the bottom.  And I think we can all agree that gas
mileage out of the VR6 is pretty damn dismal.  What's so great about it other than
it's got 6 cylinder midrange?  BMW's 2.5 makes just as much power, more torque, and
gets much much better mileage.  Their 2.8 makes more power, much more torque, and
still gets better gas mileage.  Acura's 6, Nissan's 6, M-B's 6, they all make more
power and get better mileage (even with the M-B's considerable weight penalty in the
E320).  What's so great about the VR6?  It's a good engine don't get me wrong, and I
love the sound, but much better can be had.

Bill
'98 GLX