Re:

At 7:25 AM -0500 2/3/2000, Cabell_T_Treadway@res.raytheon.com wrote:
>I hope I don't offend any MK4 owners, but my old roommate bought an '00
>GL(S, I think, whichever it was, it had the 2.0 I4), and I drove it around
>a little.  I have to say that I just don't feel they measure up to the feel
>and quality of a MK3.

I disagree for the most part.

There are certain attention to detail in these cars that our cars can't match.

For example:

1. The dampened "oh crap" handles, and the way they recess into the
roof when you let go.

2. The curved window ledge, so if you ever have to roll down the
window in inclement weather, the elements tend to flow out away from
the car instead of falling into the car and your lap.

3. The gradually dimming lights when you close the door.

4. The automatic door locks when you reach 5mph.

5. The built in clips to hold the floor mats in place.

6. The built in cup holders (that's a gimme-- anything is better than
the afterthought cupholders in our Mk3's)

7. The stock lights are way superior.

8. The stock tires are way superior.

9. The GLX wheels look cooler than the stock Mk3 wheels.

10. The aluminum loading panel in the trunk.

Things I hate about the car?

1. You can tell it and the Beetle share the "cab forward" design
based on the wasted space for the front windshield. You can't even
reach forward and touch where the window connects to the car without
some effort.

2. This is a continuation of #1-- the cab forward design means you
need a huge back door in order to get in the car. Actually, the door
isn't so huge, but there is this huge flap on the back door that
sticks out. Easy to ding your door on someone's sideview mirror, or
ding someone else's car with your door. Look at the contour of the
door, and you'll notice the extending flap of sheet metal.

3. This is a continuation of #2-- the door has some very stiff
'resting' points, meaning that it is almost a "modal" door. It either
wants to be closed, 1/2 open, or all the way open. Which means that
in a tight spot, you have to REALLY hold on to the door when you're
opening between 1/2 open or full open or you're running into the ding
problem.

4. This is also a continuation of #2-- the door pillar between the
front and the rear is unusually forward, which means that when I try
to get into the car sometimes, my butt hits the door pillar because I
expect it to be further back than it is.

5. I hate the concentration of buttons for controlling the
conveniences-- in any seat. In the drivers seat, you can't just reach
and hit the right button without glancing down. Too many times, I
have lowered the rear window when I meant to do the forward window.
Bad design. Also, you can't tell with a glance which button locks the
doors, and which ones open the window on the passenger side. The Mk
3. is clearly superior in this area because it has the window buttons
on the handlebar (very convenient, and easy to get to!).

6. Rear foot room is definitely worse in the new Jetta.

-Khan

Khan Klatt                                         khan@mediaaccess.com

Media Access Internet Solutions, Inc.		      888.750.0777 tel
http://www.mediaaccess.com			      425.519.3741 fax