No Subject

I hope I don't offend any MK4 owners, but my old roommate bought an '00
GL(S, I think, whichever it was, it had the 2.0 I4), and I drove it around
a little.  I have to say that I just don't feel they measure up to the feel
and quality of a MK3.  I guess I'm really biased, since mine is a 97 GLX,
but to be honest, the MK4 "felt" and looked more like a Japanese car than a
German car.  I don't know how to describe it any better than that.  It's
still a fine car, and I have nothing against Japanese cars, I owned a Honda
for years, but I've always felt that German cars were a cut above, and the
MK4 just didn't feel right.  It had a couple things I liked, for instance
the little sunshade above the rearview mirror, but those things are just
cutesy, and to my mind don't justify getting the car.  Of course, my
roommate loves the car, which is great, since he has to drive it, and I'm
sure all you MK4 drivers are happy, and that's wonderful.  But for my
money, I'd look for a low mileage '98 or '99 GLX.  Maybe I'd feel different
if I test drove one of the new VR6s, but I really don't think so.  Plus,
what's the point of offering the VR6 in the GLS now?  That basically makes
it pointless to buy the GLX.  I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that with
the VR6 and 'sport' package, there's no difference between the GLS and GLX,
except the sticker price.  Anyway, the bottom line in my opinion is to go
with a year or two old GLX and keep the fun of the VR6.

Cab
97GLX
72Bug

>Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 08:20:47 -0700
>From: "Chadwick, John/COR/INV" <jchadwic@ch2m.com>
>Subject: RE:

>I drove my friend's '99 Jetta GL. I have to tell you that it felt like the
>engine was going to explode at 4000 rpm in first gear. The red line is the
>same as ours too. I just didn't like like it at all. The thing is stock,
but
>still, so it mine. The whole feel of the car is nice but the engine has to
>go. Oh and another thing! You know how our seats kind of "fold" down? Hers
>didn't. I felt way too high. Other than that it's a nice car. I've driven
>95 Jetta GL also and those feel a lot better to me. I'd stick with the
VR6,