Re: RWD vs. AWD.

Khan Klatt wrote:

> OK, I want to make one thing clear, because I'm not angry and I'm not shouting:
>
> BILL WAKE UP MAN, NOT EVERYONE DRIVES ON THE TRACK. PEOPLE LIKE AWD
> SO THEY CAN DRIVE ******OFF****** ********THE*******
> *******TRACK******.

Forgive me for assuming that whatever makes you a faster driver also makes you a
better driver.  (if you can't find the sarcasm in that statement .. look harder).
I'm almost 22 years old and I've got over 300,000 miles under my belt
"*******OFF******* *******THE****** *******TRACK*******".  Most of my friends are
much older however and most of them are involved with the BMWCCA.  My best friend is
a track-instructor for this organization and has assisted in setting up most of the
track-events for the NJ chapter of the CCA.  This is the reason I have some track
experience.

EVERYTHING THAT MAKES YOU A BETTER DRIVER ON THE TRACK PUTS YOU IN BETTER CONTROL OF
YOUR VEHICLE WHICH MAKES YOU A BETTER DRIVER ON THE STREET .... DO NOT FORGET THAT
(please note that I'm not angry, and I'm not shouting, I just love the look of a
cap-locked paragraph).

> So you are **CLEARLY** **PLAINLY** **WRONG** that the only advantage
> to AWD is acceleration. AWD will CLEARLY, PLAINLY, help you in
> certain wet and icy conditions that people encounter OFF THE TRACK.

Ok Einstein ... explain to me how you can pick up cornering and/or braking ability
with AWD.  I've gotta hear this one.  And where exaclty has anyone proved me wrong?
Acceleration is the only advantage to AWD, even on dirt ... you prove me wrong.
Just something .. anyone .. someone explain some type of force, or some physical
condition of motion that makes AWD CORNER OR BRAKE better than a RWD vehicle.  Show
me some article or something from some respected person as to what exactly makes a
car corner harder with AWD.  I will repeat the fact that I have done track miles
with all three setups, AWD, RWD, and FWD.  I've even had track time in a mid-engine
car.  RWD is the only configuration that gives you total control of the car, the
physical ability to do different things with the front and rear of the car at the
same time.

You talk about safety in inclement weather conditions, which means that you're more
concerned with survival than speed, that's fine.  But if you're not accelerating
hard out of the corners in wet conditions, then you're not utilizing the one glaring
advantage of AWD, so what's the friggin point?

Bill