Re: VR6 0-60 times

In a message dated 04/07/2000 3:59:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
khan@mediaaccess.com writes:

> So why the discrepancy on the reported times? I mean it's a given
>  that any published figure is dependent on many conditions (including
>  drivers' skill), but you'd think that if the A4 wasn't much slower or
>  faster than the A3, you'd see numbers in the 6.9 - 7.1 range... Yet
>  one person noted that the A4 is at 7.4 sec?

I think the discrepancy is valid.  First, 150 lbs is a significant amount of
weight to add to a car that isn't getting a significant power gain.  Next
time you are at the track add some weight to your car (take a friend with
you), and you will see.

Next, even though VW shortened the 1st 3 gears, they changed the spacing
between the first 4 gears (making it wider).  This means that when you shift
out of a gear, you are starting at a lower rpm (and mph) in the next gear vs.
an A3 which has a closer ratio gear box.  So, it is possible that the tester
had to shift into 3rd to hit 60, where the A3 would hit 60 in 2nd (I haven't
driven an A4 VR6 recently, so I don't remember if that's correct).  I think
it would have been better for VW to change the final drive, thus keeping the
closer ratios and improving acceleration.  VW most likely didn't take that
route, because gas mileage would have suffered.

Marc A. Brown
Speed Etc. Motorsports
Club GTI International (Northeast Region)
"Cogito Ergo Sum"
1995 Jetta GLX (well modded)
1998 New Beetle 2.0 (still stock)