From: Khan Klatt [mailto:khan@mediaaccess.com]
Sent: April 07, 2000 1:58 PM
To: jettaglx@igtc.com
Subject: Re: VR6 0-60 times

At 3:27 PM -0400 04/07/2000, VW155mph@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated Fri, 7 Apr 2000 11:16:43 AM Eastern Daylight
>Time, "FlyinVR6" <FlyinVR6@optonline.net> writes:
>
>  > Good point, but, WHEN and WHERE the cars have to pull those weights (in
the
>  > power curve) is the deciding factor.
>  >
>  > >>If you do the math, the A4 has to
>  > pull 17.6 lbs for every 1 HP, while the A3 only has to deal with
16.9.<<
>  >
>  > -FlyinVR6
>  > AIM: SwiftVR6
>  > ICQ: 8994103
>  > LI Rep ClubH2O
>  > http://members.aol.com/qwikvr6/index.html
>
>That's true.  That is why I stated in a street start and in regular
>daily driving (when you actually use lower rpms), the A4 VR6 has the
>advantage.  Once you get past 4000 rpms, the curve on both cars are
>very similar.  This is where that power to weight difference is
>evident.  Both cars are peaking at 5800 rpms with only a 2 HP
>difference, not enough to make up for the weight.
>Let me also add that VW did try to make up the weight difference
>with the gear ratios.  They shortened 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in the A4s,
>but once again, not enough to make a significant difference.

So why the discrepancy on the reported times? I mean it's a given
that any published figure is dependent on many conditions (including
drivers' skill), but you'd think that if the A4 wasn't much slower or
faster than the A3, you'd see numbers in the 6.9 - 7.1 range... Yet
one person noted that the A4 is at 7.4 sec?

Of course, to put this in perspective, a car that does 0-60 in 6.9
seconds compared to one that does it in 7.0 seconds is only about 9
feet ahead. Hardly a commanding lead. It's not exactly right, but
roughly, you're talking about a 9 foot difference for every tenth of
a second for a 0-60.. this number is roughly accurate, I would guess,
for times between 6.0 sec to 8.0 seconds (where a 0-60 in 6 secs
would put the car ROUGHLY 9x20 or 180 feet ahead of one that does
0-60 in 8 secs) when the first one reaches 60mph.

-Khan

Khan Klatt                                         khan@mediaaccess.com

Media Access Internet Solutions, Inc.		      888.750.0777 tel
http://www.mediaaccess.com			      425.519.3741 fax