Re: Steering Rack Problems - Any experience?

At 9:42 AM -0700 9/15/99, Jeff Newton wrote:
>Folks,
>
>The 97 GLX is having some steering rack problems.  It just feels like
>too much play in the steering.  Along with the play comes the
>occasional noise.  Went to my dealership and sure enough they say
>something is wrong with the rack.
>
>I'd appreciate hearing from anyone that has experienced steering rack
>problems.  The car only has 57000km on the clock!
>
>Here's the kicker.  The DSM says that my extended warranty rep *may*
>not cover the cost of any repairs/replacement of the rack due to the
>fact that I have H&R Coilovers installed.  I can't see how shocks and
>springs can affect the steering rack but I want to be prepared with
>ammo in case I have to go into battle.  Can someone point me to info
>indicating that VW will offer aftermarket springs as an accessory?
>
>Anyone have any other advice or words of encourangement?
>
>Cheers,
>
>----
>Jeff Newton

Jeff-

I don't know the details of your warranty, and if it's different in
Canada, but to refuse warranty service, they must NOT ONLY show that
the aftermarket part in question was related to the warranty repair,
BUT ALSO that the aftermarket modification CAUSED the condition
required for the warranty repair.

I don't know a heck of a lot about "steering rack problems", but it
simply comes down to these two determinations:

a) Can the coilovers be even vaguely tied to the problem in the steering rack?

	IF NOT, then the person who told you they may refuse warranty service
	is probably wrong.

	IF SO, then:

b) Can the coilovers be proven or shown to have caused the problem?

	IF SO, then you're probably SOL, and have to pay out of pocket.

Again, things may be different in Canada, and further I may be
totally off (I'm not a service rep nor a lawyer, just a somewhat
informed layperson), but that's my $0.02 (US) -- it may be worth more
in Canada. :-)

-Khan

[As a side note, it is even possible to get warranty repair on your
aftermarket part if a VW factory part caused damage to your
aftermarket part. Of course, it may be replaced with a stock part,
rather than the aftermarket part you're using. Think of it like this:
Let's say that the factory sunroof had a defect covered under
warranty, and rain damage ruined the interior of your car, including
the stereo and the seats. If you had Recarro sport seats, the
warranty may cover replacing the seats with the stock ones. If you
had a custom stereo, it might cover a new stock stereo.]