Steering Rack Problems - Any experience?

Folks,

The 97 GLX is having some steering rack problems.  It just feels like
too much play in the steering.  Along with the play comes the
occasional noise.  Went to my dealership and sure enough they say
something is wrong with the rack.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone that has experienced steering rack
problems.  The car only has 57000km on the clock!

Here's the kicker.  The DSM says that my extended warranty rep *may*
not cover the cost of any repairs/replacement of the rack due to the
fact that I have H&R Coilovers installed.  I can't see how shocks and
springs can affect the steering rack but I want to be prepared with
ammo in case I have to go into battle.  Can someone point me to info
indicating that VW will offer aftermarket springs as an accessory?

Anyone have any other advice or words of encourangement?

Cheers,

----
Jeff Newton