Re: 30,000 maintanance

Hey Rob,

I have a '97, too.  This was the first year for the 10k oil changes and 40k
maintenance services.  Check your maintenance book for the recommended
services.  The only item for a 30k service on a '97 GLX is an oil change.
Read on for more details...

> My '97 GLX has about 32,000 miles on it and I've been told that it needs a
> 30,000 mile maintanance which includes:
>     1)fuel filter

"Lifetime" fuel filter, doesn't need to be changed unless there is/was a
fuel contamination problem.

>     2)air filter

40k service interval.  It should have been changed, along with the brake
fluid, at the last free maintenance service.  Most of the time these are
replaced when the car is brought in for the 20k.  If not, they can be
replaced at any time up to two years from the purchase date, regarless of
mileage (I had ~35k when I got mine done).  If you do the filter yourself
(not too hard), be sure to clean/remove the prescreen in the bottom of the
filter housing (held in by two screws).

>     3)spark plugs

40k service interval.  I did mine myself and I got the plugs when I had it
in for the air filter and brake fuid.  To pull the wires you'll need to use
the plug wire tool that is clipped onto the hood prop rod.  This tool is
cheap-ish plastic, and is best used when the engine is cold.

>     4)oil, filter, AND drain gasket

A typical VR6 oil change is around $35.  If you are going to DIY, it helps
to have a 36mm socket (a cheapie will do since not much torque is needed) to
get the cap off the oil filter housing.

>     5)replace winshield washer fluid

Buy some fluid at Pep Boys for $1 or so.

> They wanna' charge me $290 for that.  Does this seem high?

Yes.

-Chris