Re: speed limiter (was Notchy Shifter)

Christopher Cooley wrote:

> OK list...I've got to ask:
>
> So I'm flyin' at 125, can't remember what the tach read since my tunnel vision
> was pretty narrow at night.

Whoah!!  Started this post off REALLY bad.  Before you hit triple digits again,
I'd work very very hard at conquering that tunnel vision problem.  Your
fixation(s) should relax the faster you go.  When you're doing 10mph in a parking
lot, seeing 10 degree's to each side is fine, cause they're still time to
react.   But at 125!   Different story, I'd work on relaxing a bit, take a deep
breath and make a concentrated effort to "open" your vision, there isn't any
other way to drive fast safely.

I've got 3 motorcycles and DOT specifications state that a helmet must have a
field of view of 130 degrees or more.  The only time I notice that the helmet
restricts my vision is when I'm up above 85 or so, below that, I never even think
about it.

>  Coming up Hwy 101N. around Whipple, near the CHP
> station.  Not too smart, but what was I to do with a VTEC Integra in the #2
> lane.  Nice little spin we're having, when I remember the list saying the fuel
> kicks out at 130, for us non-G-chip suffering mortals.  Even still, the Revs
> MUST have been in excess of 6K?

Its an over-engineered, modern, German engine --- rev the fuck outa it!!!!
Redline is 6500, push it till it bounces off the rev-limiter.  I've seen chips
out there that bump the rev-limiter up to 7300 and they wouldn't do this if was
gonna cause your car to explode.   Granted, running over 7000 rpm for extended
periods of time is probably not the best idea in the world, but it running up
there now and then to embarras the local rice boy is not really gonna do much
harm.    And DO NOT be worried about running up to 6500 rpm, the car can handle
that for hours at a time.

> This CAN'T be good..regardless of what y'all say.  I've nervous about over
> reving my VR6, to the point where 5K is about it.  In 1st, 2nd, and 3rd; 5K is
> about all it takes to easily play with other folks.

Wuss!!!   Just kidding :-)   But seriously, if you were driving a Mustang, I'd
agree with you and say 5500 is about it, but this car can handle 7 grand easily,
so take it up to 6500 as often as you want and don't worry about it.  If you're
that scared, throw synthetic into the block and change it every 4K or so.

> Anyway, your thoughts on what is best for performance, with respect to engine
> life tolerance, is appreciated.

Mobil 1 Synthetic every 5K miles, or Conventional every 3K.   If you can afford
oil changes that frequently and stay on top of monitoring your engine's sounds,
performance, and temperature .... she'll treat you good.

Bill
'97 VFR750
'98 GLX
'98 Valkyrie Tourer