RE: Notchy shifter

Shifting into 2nd before shifting into 1st is a good habit to get into all the
time.  It preserves the 1st gear syncro.  This is something I learned from my
friends who are into Alfas which have notoriously weak syncros.  However,
instead of using 2nd, it's an even better idea to shift into 4th before
shifting into 1st.  This will help you get the most out of both the 1st & 2nd
gear syncros, & it will not adversely affect 4th because this syncro sees
hardly any wear.

By the way, when I do this, I never have a problem shifting into 1st.
Occasionally, I won't do it, & that makes it more difficult to get into 1st.

Michael Keith
Pasadena, TX
'98 Jetta GLX
'85 Golf SCCA ITB