RE: tires/wheels & offset.

Dunlop Sp8000....$90 (205/50-15) ea. from Tire Rack. You simply won't find a
better tire for the money than that. I'm not sure about the prices for other
sizes though.

The Pirelli P700Z is another good choice at $68 a tire.

I think what you mean is that you want to decrease the wheel offset (ie.
push the wheels out). H&R makes wheel spacers available from Velocity Sport
Tuning. Todd at Air and Water (http://www.awe-tuning.com) also has them I
believe. Be careful though....if you plan to lower the car with an
aftermarket suspension you will run into rubbing issues. Unless you roll the
fenders in a little, these VW's just don't have enough clearance to fit
large wheels.