Re: New Shift Knob

Thanks for the Info.  I went out to the car during my lunch break and saw
that the boot and the shift knob are one.  Does that mean that I will have
to buy a new boot along with the shift knob?  BTW I am  planing to take a
drive down to PA and have Todd install the short shifter kit.

Franklin

I put a sparco aluminium shifter on mine. this is what you do. Pop the whole
piece covering the entire shifter off. It comes off fairly easy. Next, turn
the boot inside out. There is a silver ring with four small tabs holding the
actual knob to the leather boot. Take a very small standard screwdriver like
the ones electricians use and pry the four tabs back carefully. the knob
should then just slide out. Unfortunately the silver ring stays with the
knob so all that is left is the leather boot.
To secure the boot to the shifter put the knob on the shifter and mark it
with a light grease pencil or something similar. After the mark take the
knob back off. With the boot inside out slide it down until the edge of the
leather is even with the line. then take a small zip tie and tighten the
boot to the shifter. Then pop the cover back in place and put your new knob
on. If you ever want to replace the original knob you can as long as you
didn't break too many of the silver tabs off.
Hope this helps. If there are any questions feel free to contact me.
Franklin Mosley wrote:
Hey guys, I want to replace the stock shift Knob with a MOMO POLISHED
ALUMINUM
Shift knob and a new boot. However I see that the stock shift knob is one
unit with the leather sleeve. How do I take this off?
Thanks
Franklin Mosley
98 GLX