Fuel pump noise

Has anyone who has driven with their back seats folded down noticed a loud
whine from the back (likely the fuel pump)?

I've learned to live with it with the seats up, since my dealer seems
somewhat reluctant to pull the tank and replace it (though they did replace
a $900 driver's airbag since an edge of the cover wasn't flush with the horn
button). However, when I carry my bike in the back with the seat down, its
very annoying.

I'm trying to determine if its a "normal" noise, or I should harp on my
dealer more about it (I'll likely do the latter anyway).

Thanks,
Tim Irwin
'98 GLX Porc. blue