Re: New Shift Knob

-----Original Message-----
From: Franklin Mosley <fmosley@voyetra.com>
To: Jetta List <jettaglx@igtc.com>
Date: Wednesday, March 17, 1999 2:29 PM
Subject: New Shift Knob

>Hey guys,  I want to replace the stock shift Knob with a MOMO POLISHED
>ALUMINUM
>Shift knob and a new boot.  However I see that the stock shift knob is one
>unit with the leather sleeve.  How do I take this off?
>Thanks
>
>Franklin Mosley
>98 GLX

Franklin

The bottom of the boot/sleeve has a  an elastic band. Just pull the bottom
of the boot outward and up all around. All you do then is unscrew the shift
knob.

BTW anyone out there know how critical is it to replace a damaged steering
rack boot/dust cover. How much labor is involved? The dealer said it almost
$200 dollars to replace that stupid boot because they have to pull the tie
rod out and then realign the car. Is this true?

TIA

Jose