Need keyfob transmitter part no. for '98 GLX

Dear GLX'ers:

Well, I'm trying to get the keyless remote working in my 1998 GLX
that I bought used with no remotes.  I've got two of the vaguely
key-shaped remotes from a VW mechanic-friend which look exactly like
the remotes shown in the users' manual and which have the Hella part
number: 5FA 007 785-00.  I also have the text of the TSB which
details how to reprogram the remotes to the system.  I plan to post
the TSB text for this as soon as I can verify that it works.

However, when I try to rekey the remotes, the system acts like they
are not there (i.e. as if the transmitters had dead batteries).
Yes, I've replaced the batteries.

Which leads me to the following possibilities:

1) The remotes that I have are the wrong kind for an OEM security
system for the 1998 Jetta GLX.  I do know that one of the remotes I
have came from a '98 NB, and one came from a '98 Jetta.  They look
identical and have the same part number.

2) The remotes that I have are busted - possible.  Are there
reliability problems with these transmitters?

3) The receiver is busted - possible.  However, it seems to be
working in all other capacities (i.e. it arms itself correctly for
programming, it manages the lock/unlock sequence correctly for keyed
entry, etc.)

So, to try to get to the bottom of this, I tried to verify that the
given part (5FA 007 785-00) is indeed the correct part with my local
VW dealerslime.  Of course, they were incapable of verifying this.

Can any of you who have the 1998 GLX with the OEM locking system
please inspect your remote keyfob transmitters and verify the part
number?

As soon as I get this one behind me, I'm on to the rest of the
"stock mods": locking gas door, Euro light switch and variable delay
wipers.  Then maybe I'll consider springs/struts/tires.

Thanks in advance,
--
Willie Anderson
1998 Jetta GLX - Porc. Blue / taupe leather