Re: Some Airbox Questions:

MRobT@aol.com wrote:

> First of all, thanks Cab for your step-by-step instructions for getting into
> the airbox.  I opened it up today, (mostly out of curiosity) and cleaned the
> mesh screen.  It was really clogged up.  I do have some questions though for
> anybody on the list, I'd like to get a few educated opinions.
>
> 1)Pros and Cons on removing the wire mesh.  Would it make more sense just to
> clean it often?

I removed it.  I see no real need for it except to get all clogged up and
restrict the airflow.  Some others object to it -- stating that the engineers
put it there for a reason, but shouldn't my AIR-FILTER do the filtering!?!?

Oh BTW... if you ever opened the airbox before they replace it during the
20k service... you will notice the airfilter is almost clean as a whistle.  That
mesh screen really begins to rob the engine of horsepower-producing air
when it gets clogged up and the air-filter just sits there doing nothing
except restricting the little air flow that gets through the mesh screen.

> 2)Why do you remove the plastic tube/cone in the upper portion of the airbox?
> Is it just for better sound or is it really going to make a difference in
> performance?

It is for both sound and performance.  The sound isn't noticeable until you reach

4000+ RPMs, and the growl it makes is sweet to my ears.  I noticed immediately
the increase in pulling power when stomping on the accelerator!  :)
It is an easy (cost-free) mod.  If you are not impressed by the change, then
you can easily put the cone and mesh screen back on.

> 3)How about the K&N filter?  How much does it cost?  Is it worth replacing now
> or should I wait 'till my filter needs replacing.  (I just had the 20K
> service, so my air filter is new.)

I haven't bought one yet, but I will probably buy one soon.  I think they go
for around 40-50 bucks.  But they last a lifetime and only require cleaning
and oiling every once in a while.

> 4) Why don't the VW technicians clean the wire mesh when they change the
> filter on the 20K service?  Mine was REALLY clogged up and my car was just in
> for that service.  It seems like a new air filter isn't going to make much of
> a difference if air can't get in through that plugged up screen!

That question still boggles my mind even to this day.  Someone on the list
mentions that we, as VW owners, should be cleaning that mesh-screen on
our own periodically.  But most folks don't even know about it, especially the
ones who are computer illiterate and don't have access to the internet.
It is something I believe should be taken care of every time you take the car
into the shop for scheduled maintenance.