Some Airbox Questions:

First of all, thanks Cab for your step-by-step instructions for getting into
the airbox.  I opened it up today, (mostly out of curiosity) and cleaned the
mesh screen.  It was really clogged up.  I do have some questions though for
anybody on the list, I'd like to get a few educated opinions.

1)Pros and Cons on removing the wire mesh.  Would it make more sense just to
clean it often?

2)Why do you remove the plastic tube/cone in the upper portion of the airbox?
Is it just for better sound or is it really going to make a difference in
performance?

3)How about the K&N filter?  How much does it cost?  Is it worth replacing now
or should I wait 'till my filter needs replacing.  (I just had the 20K
service, so my air filter is new.)

4) Why don't the VW technicians clean the wire mesh when they change the
filter on the 20K service?  Mine was REALLY clogged up and my car was just in
for that service.  It seems like a new air filter isn't going to make much of
a difference if air can't get in through that plugged up screen!

Any input on these or other airbox related issues would be greatly
appreciated.  Also, for anyone who HASN'T at least cleaned their wire mesh
screens, DO IT!  I couldn't believe how dirty it was.  By following the
instructions that Cab sent yesterday, it is really easy to do and only takes a
few minutes.

ROB
'97 GLX Sequoia Green/Beiber Beige
DEI Keyless Entry
Pioneer/Boston Acoustics/JBL/Infinity/Phoenix Gold and other audio stuff...