Re: [gti-vr6] Brake/ABS noise

Talitmon@aol.com wrote:

> This morning I had to slam on my brakes
> from about 70mph down to 0.  When I
> did this I got the usual thudding/pedal
> vibration, but when I got down to about
> 10 mph or less and eased off I heard
> this loud thunk/clunk sound that I kinda
> felt in the floorboards.

The ABS cuts off at around that speed.  Assuming that
you remembered to push in the clutch, I'd say that
you heard the suspension settling back down after
the panic stop.  I hear it all the time on washboard
pavement, so I can assume that the ABS could cause
it on smooth pavement too.

My car also makes this kind of noise in a hard autocross stop,
specifically when the front dampers are compressed to the bump
stops and I hit any pavement imperfection.  I think that the
impact travels back through the subframe mounts, making it
sound like it's right under the floor.  If you're under warranty,
a trip to the dealer to look for broken/loose subframe bolts
wouldn't be a bad idea.....

-Arthur