RE: Brake/ABS noise

Welcome to the wonderful world of anti-lock brakes.
That noise/vibration was your ABS cycling to prevent wheel lockup.
If this ever happens again, make sure to keep pushing on the
pedal as hard as you can and try to steer around the obstacle.

As far as thunk/clunks, you might have thrown a wheel weight
or thrown up a pebble or rock. I would  pull the wheels and
do a visual of the brakes just to be sure though....

-Cab