turbo questions...

This is for anyone out there that has experience with turbo's on VW's....
PLEASE only serious people reply to me privately.....
A good friend has a slight problem with his turbo set up in his GTI... the
car is a 96, (obd2).. and when he reaches 5k rpms, the fuel dies off. has
anyone with a turbo experienced this?  he is running a stock air box, has 3"
downpipe, and 2 1/4" exhaust.  he has an extra fuel computer supporting
extra fuel thru 2 extra injectors.  also he has the stock chip in.. he
thought it may be the chip, so he switched it and put in the Garrett chip,
still dies off at 5k.  the air/fuel meter show the car running lean at 5k,
but he has the fuel computer turned WAY UP...
stumped... any suggestion.. findings???
please let me know so he can unleash the full potential of his car...
BTW in its current state, it is faster than a normal aspirated vr6.. fast
enough to pull around one going full throttle @ 90 mph with considerable
ease and still shifting at 5k!!!
George

His word is in my heart like a fire,