Re: A4 Adaptive auto transmission

Ok Ok ... so I'll break down and admit it ... my '98 GLX is an automatic!!!
There .. I said it, so shoot me.  Actually, none of us wanted the auto, but
the $$ deal he gave us was just toooo good to pass up.  As it is, this has
got to be the best automatic tranny I've every seen.  The adaptive
transmission is not just hype.  I don't know about those of you out there
with sticks .. but I've got a little notch at the bottom of my gas pedal
travel.  If I modulate the throttle anywhere between closed and that notch,
the most she will ever do is a single downshift.  I like this, it uses the
torquey midrange and bottom-end to it's advantage.  But ...put about 5
ft-lbs extra pressure on the pedal and it gets passed the notch and smacks
the floor ... watch out!

If at ALL possible (even if they'll only be a few hundred RPMs before
reline), it will double-downshift and take off like a rocket.  Good rush.
And once you've gone past that notch, the tranny does whatever it can to
keep you in the rev range, this includes NOT upshifting when completely
lifting the throttle.  It waits about 2 seconds first, then it will upshift,
but it's great when tooling around, cause it actually engine-brakes a bit in
the high-revs and then you smash the pedal back down again and ride out the
turn ... very sweet.   The longer you spend driving it hard, the easier it
makes it for you.

My dad says the same ... great tranny.

Bill
'98 GLX