Re: VWPAN97 adapter power?

At 03:39 PM 1/25/99 -0500, Chuck Simpson wrote:
>While we are on the subjects of CD-Changers, I have a
>question for the folks who installed the Panasonic 6 disc
>CD changer for the BOSE system.
>When you bought the VWPAN97 adapter, did you get
>instructions on what to hook the "red" wire too?
>I had no idea what power source to use when I received
>my changer and adapter.  I was hoping I could have just
>plugged-and-played my CD Changer since I thought
>that was what the adapter was for.
>
>Either way, I ended up running a wire up to the fuse box
>and connecting it to the Accessory fuse.  Works like a
>charm, except I don't know if it was completely necessary.
>
>What did everyone else do?
>
>-Chuck Simpson
>'98 White Jetta GLX-VR6

Some time ago I installed the same Panasonic CD changer with VW97-PAN
purchased from Crutchfield...One definitely needs to hook-up the red wire to
a 12V supply, which I did by connecting to the trunk light (the CD changer
does work with the hood closed as the switch to shut-off the light cuts off
the return (ground) lead-a lucky break)...The unit powered up only after
connecting the
12 V...As a precaution I also snipped off the 3 Amp fuse that came with the
CD changer (plastic housing on the yellow wire) and installed it in the 12 V
line...

Milind