Re: Side effect of worn strut bearing

Chris-

The rear doesn't have strut bearings, but small rubber bushings instead (no
need to turn so no need for bearings).  These are pretty much trouble free.
The clunking may be due to the nuts that hold the shock in (2 or 3 per side,
I forget exactly) coming loose, but that is unlikely.  Once or twice I've
heard of the small snap ring and/or grooved washer that support the upper
spring seat giving way, but it was on older cars that had the rear shocks
changed without replacing those parts.  Anyway, if that happened, you'd most
likely have the top of the shock shaft sticking through the rear speaker
shelf.  Even if there was a problem with the upper shock mounts, they would
not cause the car to pull.  The rear wheel is located by the axle beam only
and not the shock.  A bad shock may be causing clunking.  With a really bad
shock the rear of the car can hop to the side when turning in the opposite
direction of the side that the bad shock is on.  For example, if your left
rear shock was bad, the rear of the car might step out when making a right
turn and hitting a bump.

 As for the pulling, it may be due to 'radial pull'.  Basically, tires can
wear so that the tread surface becomes slightly cone shaped, as opposed to
cylindrical.  It's common after an alignment or tire rotation to have some
pulling before the tires 'wear in' to the new settings or position.  A way
to check for this is to switch the front tires from side to side and see if
anything changes.  Don't forget to check the tire pressures, too.

It's a little late to ask, but you haven't crashed or spun out or anything
lately, have you?

-Chris