Side effect of worn strut bearing

VR6'ers,
        I have recently noticed a clunking sound coming from the left rear
of the car when accelerating hard, going over bumps, and when I turn.  I
believe that this is a worn strut bearing in the left rear.
OK, now for the question:
        Could a worn strut bearing on just one side cause the car to pull in
that direction??  In my case, my left rear is worn (I think) and the car
pulls to the left.  I have checked my alignment at NTB (6 month warranty),
and they said that my alignment was great (well within' factory specs).
        Also, how would I go about checking my strut bearing??  I looked in
the GTI archives, but it told how to check it while it was on a lift.
        Thanks for the help!
Chris
'97 Black Jetta VR6
33,000miles