Re: 200 bucks for this!

That is true.  In such a case as that, the front sway bar reduces understeer
by keeping the car off of its bump stops.  When the car is allowed to run on
its bump stops, roll stiffness increases dramatically because there is no
compliance left in the suspension.  The understeer is caused by this
dramatic increase in roll stiffness.  The correct way to resolve this
problem is to increase roll stiffness at both the front & rear of the car
with stiffer springs so that roll stiffness is increased without affecting
the car's balance.  Sway bars are not meant to increase roll stiffness
although they do to some degree.  They are meant to fine-tune the cars
handling characteristics.  However, when you have to live with the stock
springs, as is the case with stock class autocrossing, the sway bar must be
relied upon to increase roll stiffness.

Conversely, in Matt's case, he has Eibach springs on the car.  These should
increase the roll stiffness of the car substantially.  He should not expect
the addition of a rear sway bar to make that much more of a difference in
roll stiffness because that is not what it was meant to do.  He should,
however, notice reduced understeer.  If he is looking to further increase
roll stiffness, he should install stiffer springs.

I think his expectations of the rear sway bar were a little off; so I tried
to explain to him what sway bars are really for (How'd I do Matt?).  I think
that he should explore how the sway bar has changed the handling balance of
his car before he decides to return it.  However, if Shine Racing sold him
the sway bar under the pretense that it would increase roll stiffness
substantially, then he should send it back because they lied to him.

By the way, I'm glad we're talking cars rather than throwing flames as Matt
had mentioned in his original message.

Later!

Michael Keith
Pasadena, TX
'98 Jetta GLX
'85 Golf SCCA ITB - too much rear sway bar......I think