RE: '98 GLX wireless remote? Seat height?

I'm only 6'0", but evidently long waisted and drive with a fairly upright
position. If my hair isn't lying flat enough, I rub a bit on the headliner.
I looked into aftermarket seats, but Recaro's with the same features (heated
leather) as the factory seats were $1200+ each. You'll want to talk to a
custom upholstery shop or someplace similar about lowering the seats before
you buy (if that's a major consideration. I'm not sure that it can be done
with VW's design.

Depending on your budget and tastes, you might look at a '99. The GL that I
sat in didn't have a sunroof, so I couldn't be sure about it, but it did
seem to be a little roomier than my '98. The tilt/tele steering wheel was
pretty nice as well.

I believe that only factory transmitters work with the factory system, and
can be programmed to any car. You might make sure that the original
transmitter is actually lost (btw, mine came with 2). Depending on how much
the transmitter & programming costs,  you might also think about going with
an aftermarket alarm for better protection (around $400 for a good one).

I suppose I could be flamed off of the list for this, but I found the BMW
325 to have a little more headroom and was a little more fun to drive (just
hard to find in a 4dr/5spd). The 525 was pretty nice as well, but more
towards a freeway car than a canyon cruiser. The Audi A4 and new Passat also
have decent headroom.

Good luck.

Tim Irwin
'98 Jetta GLX