RE: salty air

Yeah, I would check a few things if the car has sat for awhile:
-Fuel Filter, gunk settles in the tank, could clog a filter. Low fuel
pressure can sap horsepower.
-ALL FLUIDS! I would change the brake fluid, antifreeze , and of course
engine oil if the car has sat for anything over 3 months. Heck I would
change it just because you don't know if the previous owner did it or
not...BTW you get a free brake fluid change in the first 24kmi under VW
warranty.
-I would check all the rubber fittings under the hood including CV joint
boots and all the rubber brake lines. There is a recall for the passenger
rear brake line being worn through by rubbing.
-Definitely pop the airbox off and change the air filter and clean the
screens and box out. Beach sand can accumulate in there... A K&N Air Filter
($30) is best, but even a new paper one wouldn't hurt...
-Climate Control Filter. Climasan? There is an intake filter in the HVAC
system. Under the hood on the passenger side underneath the rain sill there
is a mesh vent, unscrew the mesh vent and the Climate filter is underneath.
These are about $20. If you leave an old one in there you can get a moldy or
skunky smell when you run the heater or AC.

Also I would wonder about the exhaust system. Even though the thing is
Stainless, if there is condensation (salty condensation too) anywhere in
there, you are gonna have a rust problem. Especially in the Catalytic
Converter, have a mechanic take a looksie. You might be able to pop the
clamps youself to inspect the tubes, check it out.

I had to o through alot of this when I bought my last '84 GLI. It was stored
in mint shape by me for 6 months, but when I went to re-road it later, I
found all kinds of stuff that needed to be done after the sitting.

Hope this helps...
-Cab
95 GLX
98 Contour