Re: 95 Jetta GLX overheating

>1)  How many speeds does the radiator cooling fan have?  Mine comes on
>immediately when turning on the ac and runs at that same speed no matter
>what the engine temp is.

Two speeds, I believe. Possibly three. Your thermostat may be bad.

>2) Could the Thermostat be bad?  Does it typically fail to open when it
>starts to fail?

What typically occurs is that the thermostat gets stuck OPEN, not closed,
when it fails. Replace it, if possible. Or, at the least, remove it and
see if it's stuck open. If it's stuck open, try to get it to close by
putting it in the freezer. If it's stuck closed, open it by boiling it in
water. Then continue to use it. If the symptoms continue, just replace
the damned thing, as they do go bad after a few years.

-T
'95GLX, "Running Cool" Edition

Zip-zap ... zip-zap ... it's Tom ... Tom Boyer ... cyng@lamere.net!
         ... who cares?