Re: Left Foot Braking vs Trail Braking

I don't claim to be an expert, but in my many years of autocross this is
what works for me:

If you have a well balanced car (a car that 4 wheel drifts in the corners,
no undertsteer or oversteer) this is when it's good to use left foot
braking.  With right foot braking the change from throttle to brake is too
abrupt.  The weight is transfered to the rear (from being on the throttle)
then suddenly it get's transfered to the front (from braking).  If you want
to get the back end out help the understeer, (create oversteer) making this
change from throttle to brake as abruptly as possible will upset the car
and hopefully get the back end out.

Left foot braking (in my experience) allows you to apply the brakes while
you're still on the throttle.  This causes BOTH the front and rear of the
car to "suck down" entering the corner.  There isn't as much weight
transfer to the front and  which allows you to brake later than normal
(which is good) and not spin out.

If you run a long sweeping course with fast turns (over 30 mph in the
corner) than left foot braking might be benificial.  But if it's a "point
and squirt" course (slow turns with fast straights), then I think standard
braking is just fine.

Trail braking is really just late braking.  On a road course you ususally
try to get all you braking done before you turn in to the corner.  But if
the car pushes (understeers) you can try "trail braking" by applying the
brakes as you are turning in.  This unweights the rear of the car and gets
it to slide out.  If your car pushes really bad though....I'm not sure if
even trail braking will work.

Have any of you tried adjusting the toe front and rear?  Something drastic
like 1/8" to 1/4" toe-out in the front and a little toe-out in the rear.
This normally helps but could cause undo tire wear.

About the Miata:  Where I autocross the classes are limited (non-SCCA).  My
Jetta GLX races with all the Porsches, etc... and it's just out classed.  I
think if I got new shocks, tires and a very aggressive alignment that it
could be competitive but I enjoy how it handles on the street too much to
ruin it for limited autocross use.  Maybe next year.  Sorry, but the Miata
handles great without any alignment tweeks!  In fact it's the Miata that's
taught me correct driving technique as far as left foot/right foot braking,
etc....  It's very balanced, but not very fast.  Now I know what people
mean by "turning the car with your feet"!

Mitch Lewis
'97 Jetta GLX
Anyone ever tried adjusting the rear toe?  Is it in or out in stock form?
How do you do it?

email:  mitchman@owt.com
web site:  http://www.owt.com/users/mitchman/