Re: In-Dash CD Players...

The Clarion Pro Audio 635 cd changer plugged right into the cable that
lies under the rear seat in my 98 GTI, 10/97 build date.  I think the
changer retails for around $300.  there is also a lesser model that will
plug into the head unit for less money.  Advantages to the CD changer
over the in dash are stock appearance, ease of installation, and no
hands cd changing.  If you have you heart set on an in dash, the
Blaupunkt units will plug right into the factory harnesses.  The only
Blaupunkt unit that sits almost flush is the really high end unit(model
# escapes me).  It has a card instaed of a detachable face, and has a
slight wave shape to the face which causes it to stick out a little on
the passenger side.  It was about $450 when I looked at it.  Pricey, but
it had some amazing features.

Billy T.