RE: 97 Jetta GLX

At 10:08 AM -0400 9/16/98, Brian Wanamaker wrote:
>I was thinking about buying my 98 GLX there, but they started playing
>the old lowball game with me and offered me a ridiculously low price for
>the car I was trading in. Also, they're so big you feel like a number.
>I ended up buying at Dwight Harrison VW in Snellville and got a much
>better deal and more personal treatment there.

NEVER NEVER NEVER agree on a price for your trade in before you go into the
dealer. Find out from a blue book what the value of the car is, and then
after you have that value, go into the dealer and negotiate a price on the
car. If you get a good price, then say sounds like a deal, but I'd like to
sell you my trade in. Then bargain with the dealer on the price of the
trade in. Be prepared to be a little flexible, but you know what the value
of the car is if you've looked it up in the blue book. Remember, the dealer
typically has to buy new tires, and recondition the car if it's in bad
condition, so be understanding if it's a little lower than blue book.

Then, you'll get your new car at the price you like, and sell the car at
the price you like. IF they don't like the price on your car, tell them
quite frankly and straight up that you would like to avoid the hassle of a
personal sale, and you will be going to another dealer to see if they'll
take the car at the price you expect.

If the dealer has a problem with that, DUMP THEM IMMEDIATELY.

If you try to make your trade-in a bargaining chip, you'll get screwed.

-Khan

--
Khan Klatt
1997 VW Jetta GLX, Emerald Green