Locking fuel door update (WAS Re: Snippage and HTML)

At 1:04 AM -0400 9/5/98, Tom and Teecy Matthews wrote:

>Of course, I'm still annoyed with people who don't include text links on
>pages...I still use VAX/VMS and Unix terminals fairly regularly. Long
>live Lynx!  :)

$ ^ynx^inux

Anyone who knows the C shell will get this.

As for Jetta-related content, I did another locking fuel door install on a
Wolfsburg Jetta last night, and have a couple of suggestions regarding the
installation.

1. At my web page (which is due for an update soon) I stated you might have
to use a lighter to make the vacuum tubing a little more pliable. Another
alternative that works very well is to take a sottering iron, and putting
the hot heating element down the tube to warm it up and make it more
pliable. Works a lot better.

2. Wolfsburg jettas, while they still have the locking fuel door mechanism
as part of the body, don't have the vacuum tubing that runs down near the
rear right hand side of the car. Instead, we had do the following:

1. Cut the tubing that *does* run on the rear left hand side of the car,
and splice the T-connector between the cut. Then, run a 6' piece of vacuum
tubing from the T-connector, across the width of the car, under the rear
shelf of the trunk.

Worked like a charm. I've got a GTI-VR6 and a Wolfsberg Golf to do very
soon, and hope to have lots of pictures.

-Khan

--
Khan Klatt
1997 VW Jetta GLX, Emerald Green