shifting problem

I remember seeing on the list before a common problem with the manual
transmission on our cars, that sometimes it's really hard to shift into first
gear, feels like its blocked out or something.  I don't wanna' beat a dead
horse, but has anyone actually found a solution to the problem?  I've been
having the problem occassionally, but I would certainly like to get it taken
care of if possible before the warrantee period expires.  I've seen discussion
on this before, so if someone has actually had it repaired, please let me know
what to tell the dealer so I can get mine fixed.
Thanks in advance,
ROB
'97 GLX
green/beige leather
"won't shift into first every once in a while" edition