Re: Speed ratings

Khan M. Klatt wrote:

> Yes, the primary factor in speed ratings is if you're going to be riding on any part of your sidewall when you make turns.

Sorry, I disagree.The primary factor in tire speed ratings is the tire's capacity to dissipate heat.  The faster the tire rotates, the more heat (friction) is generated over a period of time.  The speed ratings are for sustained speed, not a quick run like FlyinVR6 stated.  Thus, a H rated tire can withstand a claimed 144 mph blast, as long as that speed is not held for a long duration.

Dissenting opinions welcome.

And hello.  This is my first post.

Art Borin, Jr.
AMSCO Wear Products Inc.