Re: Speed ratings

At 2:45 PM -0400 9/3/98, Art Borin wrote:
>Khan M. Klatt wrote:
>
>> Yes, the primary factor in speed ratings is if you're going to be riding
>>on any part of your sidewall when you make turns.
>
>Sorry, I disagree.The primary factor in tire speed ratings is the tire's
>capacity to dissipate heat.  The faster the tire rotates, the more heat
>(friction) is generated over a period of time.  The speed ratings are for
>sustained speed, not a quick run like FlyinVR6 stated.  Thus, a H rated
>tire can withstand a claimed 144 mph blast, as long as that speed is not
>held for a long duration.
>
>Dissenting opinions welcome.
>
>And hello.  This is my first post.

Hi, and welcome. You may be right (I'm not an expert on these things) but
from my conversations with a friend who is a distributor for
Kelly/Springfield tires, I was led to believe it was the speed factor, that
you are indeed OK to go faster than the rating, as long as you weren't
making any significant turns (meaning a really straight road).

Perhaps we are both right, and what might build the greatest heat in a tire
are angular friction (that caused by the gripping and turning of the tire
against the pavement) rather than longitudinal friction (that caused by the
tire moving in a straight line). If this is the case, you're still more
technically right, as the turns are simply a factor of heat.

If this isn't the case, then I've been misinformed, or it's a function of
both factors.

-Khan

--
Khan Klatt