RE: DAmmit

At 11:47 AM -0700 9/3/98, FlyinVR6 wrote:
Not only the tires, but how about that bouncy stock suspension? I really don't think you'll have problems with any tires type of rated tires if you are just going fast in a straight line. I think the heat and wear & tear on a tire is produced once u start turning at high speeds. I'm not positive about that, but it sounds logical.

Yes, the primary factor in speed ratings is if you're going to be riding on any part of your sidewall when you make turns. If you make a sharp turn at higher-than-rated speeds, it essentially means you're shearing your wheels-- think of it as if you've got a big pile of freshly made jello. Taking a curve at high speed is like putting your hand on top of the jello and pushing to the side. You're shearing the tire because the tire is sticking to the pavement, and the speed combined with the momentum of the turn is pushing your tire out, such that the sidewall may start to run on the pavement-- bad, bad, bad!

This is especially so if your tires are too low, making the tire more susceptible to roll.

-Khan

--
Khan Klatt
1997 VW Jetta GLX, Emerald Green