Re: Prediction

At 10:58 PM -0400 10/24/98, deecee@exit109.com wrote:

>I am sure the idea will be started by one of the big three first. Followed
>by the imports. If the car manufacturers can save a dollar by all means
>they will try.

I happen to agree with you, and I even share some of my reasons why this
will be so.

I feel that the Internet is going to put many industries into a position
where they must evolve into better businessplaces to survive in the new
marketplace.

The new marketplace where consumers can become more educated, and can even
buy their products online. So, yes, many auto dealerships will go out of
business, but by the same token, many will survive. The ones that survive
will learn to provide "value added services". They will complement the
marketplace of the educated consumer.

Higher end automobiles, especially will have high degrees of success in
this area. A toyota is a toyota (and by the same token, so are many VW's)
but car makers like Audi, BMW, Acura, Infiniti, etc. will want to maintain
showrooms where customer service and automobile customization will become a
priority.

Only those consumers looking for "gourmet" automobiles will go to
dealerships, while "generic" customers will buy directly from the
manufacturer.

These are the reasons dealerships will and will not go out of business.

-Khan

Khan Klatt <kklatt@nw.verio.net>                                       Verio
Network Engineer                                    Bellingham Branch Office
Tel 800.591.2757 x 13                                    725 N. State Street
Fax 360.738.8315                                        Bellingham, WA 98225