Prediction

I have a prediction for the state of the auto industry. In the next 20
years or so I see a major shift in the selling and servicing of cars. It is
my opinion that car dealers VW included will be obsolete. Think about it.
Since all major corporations are or have been downsizing why not the auto
industry. I can vision that there will be no more car dealers. The
factories will open up regional sales centers.  They can be located in
shopping malls. Who needs to keep and floor plan several hundred cars. Sure
the manufacturers dump the inventory on the dealers and it is up to the
dealers to move the product. When a car is purchased the customer waits for
it to arrive from or picks it up at a major distribution site.  I remember
when my Father waited 6 weeks for his new 1966 Mustang to be built.  The
assembly plant in Edison, NJ was 2 miles from my house.  How many
dealerships are going bankrupt each year? Especially in recession years.
Next I see major outside repair centers doing all the repairs both in and
out of warranty. How many Penske Centers are around the country? How many
Pep Boys etc? Most of the major work engines or transmissions will be major
component swaps. For the problem cars the manufacturers will open up their
own diagnosis centers.

I am sure the idea will be started by one of the big three first. Followed
by the imports. If the car manufacturers can save a dollar by all means
they will try.

Don