Shifter

This morning going to work I had a problem shifting gears, mainly on
downshifts.

Specificaly, what started to happen was, downshifting from 5th to 3rd,
I was having a hard time getting it to pop into gear. and it happened
about 4 times downshifting into 3rd gear.  At one point it would not go
into that gear at all, but when it did feel like it due to length of the
travel
on the stick, it was in neutral.  when I got to my work location, parked,
then later traveling to another office, the shift action is no longer smooth.
More force is now needed to get it into gear, and is no longer smooth
as before.

The clutch seems to be fine, and the transmission also seems to be fine,
maybe the linkage(cable?) needs to be re-adjusted? Anyone have similar
experiences?  Does my story make sense?............Thanks!

Talat
97 GLX
Blk/Blk